I finally have time to post the cookie recipe some of you
asked about. These are delicious, easy to make and look
really nice. I think next time I make them I will dip them
in the dark chocolate with coffee in it that our local
chocolate company makes--yum!
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp warm water
2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp shortening
1. Cream butter, shortening and sugars
2. Dissolve coffee in warm water and add to creamed mixture
3. Add egg and melted chocolate and mix well
4. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt and gradually add to the creamed mixture. (Dough will be sticky)
5. Shape into two 6" rolls, wrapping each roll in waxed paper
6. Refrigerate for 4 hrs or until firm
7. Unwrap and cut into 1/4" slices and place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets
8. Bake at 350º for 10 to 12 min or until firm
9. Remove cookies from pan and place on a cooling rack
1. Melt chocolate chips and shortening on low heat in a small saucepan.
2. Dip each cookie halfway, shake off excess chocolate.
3. Place on waxed paper to harden.
Yields 3 1/2 doz cookies (or flats as they are called)