Saturday, June 7, 2008

ALMOND CHOCOLATE PIE

The luncheon I catered last week went great and I learned a lot! 24 women attended
and I received many compliments on the food (especially the chicken salad) One of
the things that didn't go so well was the butter. Earlier in the week I had softened
butter and put it into these cute rose shaped molds so that each person could have
a pretty pat of butter to go with their cloverleaf roll. The butter ended up softening
too fast and they had a difficult time getting it off the plate and onto the roll without
making a big mess. I will have to come up with a better plan for next time because
they were just too pretty not to use.

This is the customer's pie recipe that was also a big hit, although very, very rich. It
is simple to make and the pies come out very large and impressive. I decorated each
cut piece with whipped cream and a raspberry at the luncheon and they were served
on the customer's gorgeous gold plated china. I had my camera with me but ended
up being so busy serving & decorating the food that I wasn't able to get any pictures.

The good part about this pie recipe is you can make it in a regular pie pan and actually
cut 16 pieces from each pie instead of the usual 8 because it is so rich a small piece is
plenty to satisfy even the most devout chocolate lover. I recommend cutting each piece
with a knife dipped in hot water and keep the pie refrigerated right up until cutting
and serving. Decadent and Delicious!





ALMOND CHOCOLATE PIE

CRUST

2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
3/4 cup butter, melted

Mix crust ingredients together and press into the bottom and up the sides of
a 9 inch pie plate.

FILLING

16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
16 large marshmallows
1/2 cup half and half
1 pint heavy cream

In a saucepan heat the chocolate, marshmallows and half and half over low heat.
Stir until smooth. Refrigerate until cool to the touch (about 1 hour). Whip the cream
and fold it gently into the chocolate mixture being careful not to overmix and deflate
the mixture. Pour into the crust and refrigerate at least overnight for the pie to set
up properly. Delicious decorated with real whipped cream and chopped almonds.

4 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

yum yum, freeze the butter rock hard.

The Stricklands said...

Your chicken salad was delicious! Can't wait to try the pie. Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

That pie does look delicious ~ thank you for sharing the recipe! I am so glad to hear that your catering job went well ~ I was wondering how it went.
Hope you are enjoying a blessed Sunday,

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that looks rich and totally delicious. I think I mught make it, when I finally finish all this painting!

Sorry I haven't visited for a while. Life here is just so hectic at the moment.

Kate