Friday, January 11, 2008

CRESCENT ROLLS

I cannot remember where I got this recipe, but it is a keeper! I am one of those people
that is a bread snob. If I can't have delicious bread I just won't eat any. So, living in a
place where people call Fresh something that has been frozen rock solid and reheated
(sometimes more than once) I have been forced to learn to make the kind of bread I like.

These rolls are light, tender, sweet and really pretty to serve. They have a buttery flavor
and if they are cooked just the right amount of time they have a wonderful golden color
that is irresistible.

The catch is that they require overnight refrigeration, which means planning ahead. Uggh.
Planning ahead is not my best quality, but for these rolls I'll do it. One time I did try to
fudge by making the dough in the morning and baking them later in the afternoon, but
they didn't rise right and they kind of deflated when they cooled. Bummer. They still tasted
good, but I definitely learned my lesson about letting the dough set overnight in the fridge.




1/2 cup shortening (I only use Crisco)
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 package yeast
3 Tablespoons warm water
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour (approx.)

***Prepare the night before:

1) Place shortening and salt in glass bowl, add the 1 cup boiling water. Stir until
dissolved and let cool to lukewarm.

2) Dissolve yeast in the 3 Tablespoons of warm water, set aside.

3) Beat the eggs well with the sugar and add the lukewarm shortening mixture
and dissolved yeast, mixing well.

4) Add 2 cups of the flour, mix in well, then add the remaining flour and mix well.
Add sufficient flour to make a "kneadable" dough and knead lightly until well mixed.

5) Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place overnight in the refrigerator.

***Next day:

1) Cut the dough in half and roll each into 2 rounds, each approx. 1/4 inch thick.

2) Spread rounds with softened butter and cut into equal pie shaped wedges. A pizza
cutter works perfect for this. I cut them into 8 pieces, so the rolls are large.

3) Starting at the wide end, roll snugly into crescents that end at the pointed side. I have
learned to try and keep the point of the crescent facing down and kind of pushed into the roll,
otherwise they have a tendency to want to pop up during baking and it looks funny. If you
look at my photo before they are baked you will see where I didn't practice what I'm preaching
and yep--they look funny!

4) Place rolls on parchment lined or non-stick cookie sheets. Let rise in a warm place until
approx. double in size. I like to use my oven with the pilot light turned on for rising.

5) Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Watch them carefully near the end of baking time
since ovens vary a great detail in temperature and your rolls may be getting dark by the
minimum baking time.

I brush mine with softened butter as soon as they are out of the oven for even more flavor.
These are delicious warm, cold and everything in between! Store in an airtight container
so they don't dry out.

1 comment:

Kathy_in_Colorado said...

I'm going to try these - we love bread in our home - especially homemade. Thanks for sharing!