Friday, December 7, 2007

QUICK CHICKEN CASSEROLE

Here is another recipe from my mom that is delicious, nutritious and brings people running when
it's cooking! I don't use condensed "cream of" soups from the grocery store very often because of
the high salt content and the high cost, but I do use them in this recipe.

I love the crunchy texture from the walnuts and celery--the hard boiled eggs and chicken add the
perfect contrast. The flavor is very good and I always double the recipe to fill a large 9 x 13 pan so
we have enough for lunch the next day because it is even better after being refrigerated overnight.
I served the casserole with freshly steamed broccoli and ice cold orange juice.




3/4 cup diced chicken, cooked
1 cup sliced celery
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups cooked rice
1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 Tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
3 hard boiled eggs (chopped)


Combine chicken, celery, onion, walnuts, rice, chicken soup, salt, pepper and lemon juice.

Whisk mayonnaise together with water and add to the chicken mixture.

Gently fold in chopped eggs and pour mix into a lightly greased pan.

Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for approx 15 minutes or until mixture bubbles throughout
and serve warm.

This is a great dish to make the night before, cover tightly and refrigerate for dinner the
next day.

Single recipe fills a small 9 x 13 inch pan, the doubled recipe fills a large sized 9 x 13 inch pan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks really yummy. I'll put it on my list of recipes to try. I am so glad I found your blog!

If you left out the soup it would make quite a nice Waldorf style chicken and rice salad, I think.

Kate

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

You are right Kate--I think it would be good to try without the soup. I am glad you found my blog too! Have a great weekend over there in the sun!

Kris

Anonymous said...

This looks very unique! I want to try this one too... I know I keep saying that, but your stuff just appeals to me Kris, it ALL looks great!
The eggs are such a different ingredient. I find that intriguing. I think I am HUNGRY!
Pam

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Thanks for the compliment Pam and let me know if you do try this. We love it and it is one of the favorite dishes that I brought to people when I was on our church's meal team. I hope you are staying warm this weekend!

Kris