Monday, December 10, 2007

CINNAMON ROLL BREAD

Today was bread baking day and my favorite white bread recipe makes 4 loaves, so I always make
at least 2 of them cinnamon roll bread. I remember my Mom making bread all the time and she
would make one loaf into this delicious cinnamon treat. It's embarrassing how much fresh bread I
can eat all by myself--I can hardly wait until it's cool enough to slice!

My youngest daughter helps me with this recipe by sifting the mound of flour and greasing the
bowl while I knead the bread. Everyone else helps by eating it!




2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
6 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
1/4 cup shortening, melted and cooled
12 to 12 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour, divided in half

**The first thing I do is melt the shortening so it can cool off**

1) In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt and shortening; stir until dissolved.

2) Add half the flour; beat until smooth and the batter sheets off the spoon when you hold it up.

3) Mix in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough that cleans the bowl. Turn out onto a floured board.

4) Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and turn over once so the top
of the bread is greased.

5) Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 1 1/2 hours)

6) Punch dough down, cover and let rise again for 30 minutes.

7) Divide dough into 4 parts and shape into loaves. If making white bread, place dough into four greased
9 in x 5 in x 3 in loaf pans and continue on to step 9.

8) If making cinnamon bread, roll 1 part dough into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle on a floured surface. Brush
melted butter over dough and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture (3/4 cup sugar combined w/ 1 Tablespoon
cinnamon). Starting at short end, roll up tightly and place roll with seam side down into greased loaf pan.

9) Cover and let rise in a warm place (I use my oven with the oven light on) until doubled, about 30-35 minutes.

10) Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. I always spread the tops with butter to keep
the crust nice and soft. Let rest for 10 minutes in pans, then cool completely on wire racks. Store in airtight
container or bag so the bread doesn't dry out.

Makes 4 loaves.

No comments: