Tuesday, December 18, 2007

CHOCOLATE BILLIONAIRES

Just the name alone makes me want to taste them! I am making these to put into cookie boxes for
Christmas and they received 2 enthusiastic thumbs up from the folks in this house. They look and
taste a lot like turtles except you get the added bonus of crispy rice cereal mixed in there with the
caramel and pecans--YUM.

They were surprisingly easy to make but there were a couple of crucial things I learned:

1) Don't start making these if you don't have uninterrupted time to devote to the project (melted
chocolate doesn't like to be kept waiting.)

2) Don't make these with your husband home unless you have a place to hide them.










1 14 ounce bag of caramels
3 Tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup slightly crushed crisp rice cereal (not too fine--they add a nice texture)
1 Tablespoon shortening
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I only use Nestle's)

1) In top of double boiler over low heat, melt caramels with water, stirring until very smooth.

2) Remove from heat and stir in pecans and rice cereal.

3) Drop by rounded teaspoons onto lightly greased waxed paper on cookie sheet. Chill until firm.

4) Melt chocolate chips and shortening in double boiler over low heat until melted and smooth.

5) Using 2 forks, dip chilled candies in chocolate until covered, shaking fork gently back and
forth to remove excess chocolate. Push candy off the fork with the other fork onto waxed paper.

5) Chill until chocolate is set, then store in an airtight container. These are wonderful presented
in a pretty box, on a pressed glass plate or in a vintage cookie container as a gift (people will be
amazed at your candy making abilities!)

Makes approx. 4 dozen small candies or 36 larger candies.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look yummy! I used to make candy before The Boy was born, but stopped for some reason after he came.
I bought a new mold this week of Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus, and some colored chocolate for a little project for us this weekend. Was tired of the gingerbread house concept, but wanted to do something in the kitchen creative with him. I love that he likes to be out there with me doing stuff!
We may have to try these too, he would love them!

pam

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Yes, do try these and let me know if you liked them. I make cookie boxes with a large variety of cookies to give to family. I just checked out 5 books at the library on cookies looking for a good lemon cookie that won't crumble or have to be refrigerated. I'll post what I make!

Kris