2 Cups 100% Bran Buds
2 Cups Boiling Water
1 1/2 Cups Butter
3 Cups sugar
1 Quart Buttermilk
3 Cups all purpose flour
2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon Salt
5 Teaspoons Baking Soda
4 Cups Uncooked Bran Buds
2 Cups Raisins (optional)
1) Mix 2 cups of Bran Buds and 2 cups of boiling water, let stand
a few minutes while creaming the next ingredients.
2) Cream together butter, eggs, sugar and buttermilk.
3) Add bran mixture to the above.
4) Sift together flours, salt, and baking soda--add to creamed mixture along
with uncooked Bran Buds and raisins until all of the ingredients are moistened.
5) Fill greased standard sized muffin tins approx. 2/3 full.
6) Bake - 400 degrees for approx. 20 minutes. I like to turn the muffin tins halfway
through the baking time since most ovens have hot spots in the back and this ensures
even baking. Muffins are done when top feels firm when gently touched in oven. Don't
overbake or they may come out drier than you like them.
7) NEVER stir after batter is mixed--just dip out what you want to bake and cover
it back up. Batter will keep 6 weeks in the refrigerator.
**Recipe makes approx. 48 standard sized bran muffins