Monday, September 1, 2008

SALMON CROQUETTES


This is fast becoming one of my very favorite ways to eat salmon! When I cook
salmon in the oven or barbeque it I always make sure to have some left over so
I can make a batch of these delicious croquettes.

The recipe comes from Alaska Magazine's Cabin Cookbook. I love this little
paperback cookbook! The recipes are uncomplicated and basic, not always 
exact and I almost always have all of the ingredients in the cupboard to make 
them without making a trip to the store.

These croquettes are delicious with everything from tarter sauce to ketchup
and they taste even better warmed up the next day. I use a small ice cream
scoop to make mine so they are uniform and the size lends itself to popping
them into your mouth while driving. Who needs McDonalds fries!




SALMON CROQUETTES

Flake leftover salmon and add approx. 1/4 as much cooked rice (I use a mix
of organic brown and wild rice) and 1 or 2 lightly beaten eggs, depending on 
the size of your batch.

Stir gently to blend. Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice and onion juice. If 
onion juice isn't available, you can substitute dehydrated minced onions or 
even fresh minced onions. Add salt and pepper to taste and I sprinkle in a bit 
of Old Bay Seasoning.

Shape into small balls and roll in fine dry bread crumbs. I use leftover whole
wheat bread for the bread crumbs for the extra taste and fiber.

Fry in a heavy fry pan with enough oil to cover the bottom. Turn the croquettes
a few times during cooking so they turn deep golden brown and crusty all the 
way around. Drain on paper towels before serving.

If you prefer, these can be deep fried in 375 degree oil, then drained thoroughly
on paper towels.




No comments: