Wednesday, August 13, 2008

GOUJONS OF CHICKEN

I made a banner for a kitchen shop years ago and for payment the owner
let me pick out a few cookbooks to take home. 50 Ways with Chicken by
Rosemary Wadey is one I picked & I have really enjoyed the recipes in it.

The color photos of the finished dishes are wonderful and the directions
are easy to follow. It's not a very thick cookbook at only 108 pages long, 
but if you are looking for different ways to make chicken taste good you 
may want to give this book a try.

I have made Goujons of Chicken countless times and the serving plate is
always empty at the end of dinner. These are very similar to chicken strips 
or the chicken tenders at the deli in grocery store, except of course these 
taste a thousand times better and they haven't been frozen and deep fried!

It's easiest to make these if you can get chicken tenders already cut off 
the breasts, but if you only have chicken breasts you can just cut them 
on the diagonal to make the classic chicken tender shape. These are great
with ketchup for kids and tarter sauce is usually a favorite of adults.



I save the heels and leftovers from my homemade wheat bread in 
the freezer; when needed I thaw and dry them out.

I put the pieces in the food processor and process until I have fine 
bread crumbs. They are great for coating everything from meat to 
vegetables with terrific flavor and texture (not to mention added fiber)

I line my bowls up in the order of coating with the baking dish 
on the end at the right with the oil already in it.




I love this stuff! I sprinkle this on after all of the chicken is 
in place in the baking dish.




GOUJONS OF CHICKEN

4 boneless breasts of chicken or equivalent chicken tenders
All purpose flour w/salt and pepper mixed in to taste
2 eggs, beaten
Dried breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil  (I like Olive Oil)

Cut chicken into strips approx. 2" x 3/4 inch if using breasts. Coat 
lightly in flour, then dip into egg until well coated, then finally coat 
in breadcrumbs until completely covered. 

Place chicken in a 9 x 13 pan with enough oil to cover the bottom of 
the pan. This is when I sprinkle on the Parmesan-Herb seasoning and
a bit of garlic powder. Real Parmesan would be delicious too!

Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown and 
crisp. Let chicken sit for 15 minutes before serving to let the juices 
collect back into the meat.

Serves 4.



2 comments:

Becky said...

O yummy! That looks right up my alley... my mouth is watering.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

tell me how you make the sauce (I have no clue how do do anything with my maters besides eat them straight from the garden)
:) I have given away so many cause i dont know how to keep them.
hugs laura