Thursday, May 15, 2008

EAGLES, SUNSETS AND WATER--OH MY!

Today I thought I would share some neat photos from this past month. We have had several days
of pounding rain and heavy winds, which I am certain is very disheartening for the tourists that
come everyday on the big ships. I feel bad seeing them covered head to toe in plastic trying to
stay dry and dashing from store to store between deluges. But, if it was sunny and warm all of
the time then we wouldn't have 8500 people living on this island, we'd have 85,000!

My older daughter is a checker in the grocery store and meets people from all over the world
on a daily basis. I think it's a great way for her to experience other cultures and get out of her
comfort zone a little--especially when they barely speak English and are needing directions!

Another amazing photo by Tim Shobe here in town. I have seen the eagles do this up close and personal and it is mind blowing how athletic they are! I have seen them grab a fish from the water without missing a beat and fly away while reaching into their talons and eating the fish.

My older daughter took this photo of another gorgeous sunset. I love the way the sun looks striped--too cool!

I took this photo over at the well while getting water. The water is crystal clear and iceberg cold. This is a salmon stream, so in the late fall it is filled to overflowing with salmon making their way upstream to spawn. The water level gets so low that the salmon are mostly dry and still trying to swim upstream.

I took this photo down the road from our house a couple of miles. My brother's were painting a house on the property and called me to come over and see the herring spawning. The spawning was a little far away to get a picture of, but I think this was a nice photo- op as well.

There is nice weather forecasted for this weekend so we are planning a boat trip to the south end. Stay tuned for pictures!

5 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

BEAUTIFUL PICS! i am soooo in awe of the beauty around you! SOME DAY i do believe I want to visit Alaska... it is soooo breathtaking~! thank you so for sharing!

Niki said...

Ok, I'm moving to your neighborhood!!!
Beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am there. Ahhhhh, so nice of you to post this since I am stuck here right now :)

Karen Deborah said...

Wow, you are so blessed to live in such breath taking unspoiled beauty. what is the drawback, the cold? Why do only 8,500 people live there? Or is it jobs? Tell us about Alaska.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Laura--I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. You should visit Alaska one day--it is about as different as you can get from Georgia!

Niki--thanks! We do have a nice neighborhood too!

Pam--one day you'll visit--right?

Karen--yes we are blessed everyday by the beauty here. I think there are several reasons why only 8500 people live on this island: you can only get here by boat or plane (both expensive) the only malls we have are by bears and lots of people couldn't handle living with only 14 miles of roads!
Oh, and no Starbucks.