Monday, April 14, 2008

APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES

I am always on the lookout for a good tasting cookie that has healthy enough
ingredients that I can make a big bunch of them to grab as a quick, non-messy
bite to eat in the morning or to carry with us without spreading food and crumbs
all over. The last ones I made nobody ate because they kind of tasted like soggy
paper. They are still in the freezer in case I ever need something hard to throw
at a bear.

I found this recipe in Mrs. Fields Cookie Book from the library. She has 3 different
healthy cookies that I will be trying from this book. That woman knows how to
make a cookie!

These tasted really good, are very simple to make, are loaded with good
stuff and the recipe makes a lot at one time (BIG bonus in my book!) I still
doubled it though and for the first time ever I used a miniature cookie scoop my
sister bought me to place the dough on the cookie sheets instead of 2 teaspoons.
The cookies came out uniform in size and very chewy, which I love. I was
surprised by the lower oven temperature and long cooking time, but that may
be the reason they are soft and kind of cake-like.

The recipe calls for chopping the apples into tiny bits, but as you can see in the
pictures I chopped them larger. I really like the taste of apples in baked goods
and I think they look very appetizing with all those chunks of goodness showing
through!




APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick oats (not instant)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup fresh apple (peeled & finely chopped)
1 cup raisins (6 oz)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, salt, soda, cinnamon, cloves and
lemon zest. Mix very well with a wire whisk and set aside.

Cream sugar and butter together in a large bowl using an electric mixer.
Add egg, applesauce and honey, beating at medium speed until smooth.

Add the flour mixture, fresh apples and raisins and blend at low speed
(I did it by hand with a wooden spoon) until just combined--you don't
want to overmix the dough since it is quite soft.

Drop by rounded tablespoons (I used a miniature ice cream scoop) onto
ungreased cookie sheets approx. 1 1/2 inches apart. These are also good
if you sprinkle oats on top of each cookie before baking for extra taste and
fiber.

Bake 21-25 minutes or until bottoms are just golden brown. Remove to
racks to cool and store in an airtight container so the cookies stay soft.

Makes approx. 4 dozen cookies.

3 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i am not a big cookie maker but these sure look yummy! I may have to try some. we have all the ingrediants together to make a couple more cheese cakes LOL... I bout a BIG bottle of kahlua in Missouri and I think the kids think i need to use it all, they all have friends who want to try the cheesecake too! i have to giggle... it is YUMMMMMY my Aunt loved it! DID I TELL YOU??? she had me pic a quilt out for her to cross stitch for me she had 5 different ones to choose from... I chose the Irises... it will be amazing! my cousin her daughter chose the sunflowers, and that leaves three that may or may not ever get done but they were ALL amazing... I bet it will take no less than a year for her to do all that cross stitching... it takes 141 skiens of thread...unimaginable to me!

Niki said...

My favourite Oatmeal Raisin cookies are a Mrs. Field's recipe, they make a big huge bunch also.
I'll have to give these a try!

Karen Deborah said...

sounds yummy. big and little has a good recipe for hippee cookies. I'm not sure cookies are every really healthy, but I think I can't live without them, or some other kind of treat.