Friday, March 14, 2008

ALASKA STREET GANG


How would you like to meet these fellas coming down the street? It's getting close to
that time of year here when the bears come out of hibernation and start showing up
near town. We have had a bear walking right down the middle of the street next door
and the neighbor was chased up a tree by one in the woods behind us. I can't recall
the last time I climbed a tree, but I'll bet I could climb one in a hurry if I had a grizzly
at my heels!

My sister tells how strange it sounded when they had a huge bear walking down their
street at night. The windows were open and she said she could hear the click, click, click
of it's claws on the pavement and then the huge pig-sounding snuffling while it rooted
through the trash. We have humungous trash cans here and it knocked it over like it
was nothing.

I am really glad we have two dogs...they are super sensitive to the smell of bears and
act very strangely when they have been around. I know there are a few people that
hang bells around their dog's necks when they walk them because it is common
knowledge that bears don't like loud noises.

We call those dogs "dinner bells."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I know this might be scary if you had to deal with it all the time and all, but you gotta know I find this so AWESOME! I love this picture! You rock Kris! This is so very "Northern Exposure" like! Excepting of course we both know that was secretly Washington! hahaha

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I will not complain about bobcats, foxes, skunks, possums, coons, armidillos, or anyother assorted wildlife that visits here... Lions Tigers and BEARS oh my!... Beautiful to see but I dont think I would want them living close to me.
Laura

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

The photo was amazing and the "click, click, click," is the stuff nightmares are made of.

AlaskaGadfly said...

They were here first!
Had a friend living at a wilderness homestead. His son (not a teen yet), was trapped in a shed when a (small) Brownie stuck her head in. His parent had gone to town. She came in. Don't know if I'd have the presence of mind to shoot straight. His dad had the neatest hat decoration - grizzly claws.