Monday, February 4, 2008

HONEY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

So are you a chewy cookie person or a crispy cookie person? I read somewhere that
most people prefer chewy cookies except for the dunkers that like them crispy so
they can dunk them in coffee or tea.

If you are a chewy person like me, these are the cookies for you! Peanut Butter cookies
are pretty standard but most of them I have eaten are hard and dry. This recipe makes
a flavorful, chewy cookie that stays that way. No crumblies here! Plus it makes a pile
of cookies and when you double it like I always do you will have enough to share with
several people and maybe even have some to freeze for when you need a snack in a
hurry.

You know, like when you are stuck in the house with 17 inches of snow on the ground
and you can't get the car down your icy driveway to go get some stinkin peanut butter
to make yourself some peanut butter cookies. That's when you will appreciate having
a batch in your freezer.



1/2 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter (I prefer creamy for these cookies)
1 cup honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1) In a large mixing bowl, mix shortening, peanut butter and honey. Add eggs, mix well.

2) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to peanut butter
mixture and mix well.

3) Batter can be chilled at this point to make it easier to handle. Roll into 1" balls for
small cookies, or 1 1/2" balls for medium sized cookies. Place on ungreased cookie
sheets and flatten in a criss-cross pattern with a floured fork. For a little bit thicker
cookies be sure not to flatten them too much!

4) Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set in the middle. You don't want
to cook them too long or they will be hard instead of chewy. I always do a test batch
to see how long to bake them. Remember they continue to cook if you leave them on
the cookie sheet, so be sure to move them to the cooling rack as soon as you can
move them.

**Yields about 5 dozen smaller cookies.

6 comments:

Niki said...

I was just thinking about peanut butter cookies, maybe I'll make these today.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I hope you like them Niki. They make the whole house smell like a bakery--yum.

Anonymous said...

The boy would LOVE these!

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

So are you going to surprise him with a big batch ready for him after school? :-P

Anonymous said...

New to your blog via mappersnapper. For 14 years I've made my husband 1000's of chewy cookies. Last night he said, "You know what I love? Crispy cookies."
I think he'll eat these without complaint though :)

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Welcome Caution--thanks for stopping by! I love the taste of Snickerdoodles, but don't like crispy cookies so I never make them.

Is your husband a closet crispy cookie lover or did he just magically change overnight? LOL

I'll bet he eats the Peanut Butter cookies without complaint too.

Kris