Wednesday, January 16, 2008

GRANDMA'S POTATO SALAD

I was hungry for some non-winter food yesterday (I was dreaming of summer) so I
made my Grandma's Potato Salad to have with baked chicken, rice and gravy. My
Grandma was an excellent cook for as long back as I can remember.

This is a very simple recipe as far as potato salad goes; no pickles, shrimp or anything
interesting like that. The taste of green onion in every bite is one of my favorite parts.

My mom gave me the recipe and was specific that the potatoes should be prepared the
night before and refrigerated. DON'T PEEL THEM UNTIL THE NEXT DAY. My mom doesn't
yell very often, so it must be important to the recipe--sheesh!



5 pounds potatoes
8 hard boiled eggs
Green onions--if they are small, use 6-8

Steam the potatoes the night before. If they are small only cut them in half, but if they are
large cut them in fourths lengthwise. DO NOT PEEL THEM UNTIL THE NEXT DAY (okay--we
heard you the first time!) Be sure to cover them and put in refrigerator. Boil and shell the
eggs the night before too.

Next day, peel the potatoes and cut into cubes. Cut the eggs and layer the ingredients with:
potato, egg, onion and then salt and pepper on each layer--this distributes the items better.

DRESSING

Use 1/2 jar mayonnaise and mix well with mustard and milk to make a smooth dressing. Add
a little mustard and milk at a time and taste as you go. Don't pour it all on at once--best to
add and stir, add and stir. Don't throw extra dressing out since you may find that the salad will
need a little more when you stir it before serving.

Perfect with fried chicken and mashed potatoes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put sugar in my dressing, but otherwise pretty much the same recipe. And I wait to peel mine too. I also think it TASTES better after it sets over night once it's made too (and you add a little more dressing as you said) once the flavors absorb.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I think this is a pretty standard potato salad, it's the Grandma factor that I like :-)

Anonymous said...

My Grandma has arthritis in her hands so bad that she always had my Pap Pap peel the potatoes. I remember that. She is still alive (93) and says if anyone will peel for her, she'll make it ;)