Tuesday, November 13, 2007

AVOCADO SUNSHINE

One of my favorite sandwiches used to be a Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato (BLT) until I read so much research about how hard bacon is on our body's digestive system that I just decided to eliminate it from our diet. I was at a nutrition seminar this past year and purchased a vegetarian cookbook that featured this delicious, easy and very healthy sandwich that made me forget all about BLT'S! Now if only avocados were less than $3.00 each in Alaska I could have this all the time...





2 slices whole wheat, multi grain bread (I like mine lightly toasted)
1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
1/2 large tomato, sliced thick
1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
1 Tablespoon green onions chopped
2 Tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
Garlic powder to taste
Dried oregano to taste

Spread mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano to taste. On one slice of bread layer avocado slices, tomato slices, cucumber slices, sprouts and onions. Top with remaining slice of bread. Be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand--these are juicy sandwiches!

No comments: